Connect with us

Pop Culture

Netflix cuts ties with Kevin Spacey after sexual misconduct allegations

REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Reuters

Published

on

Netflix severed ties on Friday with Kevin Spacey, one of its biggest stars and the lead in its popular drama “House of Cards,” after a number of allegations of sexual misconduct against the Oscar-winning actor.

The streaming company suspended production earlier this week of the upcoming sixth and final season of the political intrigue drama, in which Spacey plays U.S. president Frank Underwood.

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of ‘House of Cards’ that includes Kevin Spacey,” the company said in a statement late on Friday.

Spacey’s publicist cut ties with him on Thursday and it was not known who currently represents him.

His departure may not mean the end of the show, however.

“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately,” Media Rights Capital, the company that produces the show, said in a statement.

“MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus,” it said.

The Netflix statement also said the company will work with MRC to determine the show’s future.

Spacey, who has had a successful career in film, television and theater, is one of several big names in the entertainment business to be accused of sexual misconduct by people coming forward in the wake of allegations against movie producer Harvey

Weinstein.

Spacey apologized last weekend to actor Anthony Rapp, who had accused him of trying to seduce him in 1986 when Rapp was 14. CNN reported on Thursday that eight current and former employees of “House of Cards,” who were not identified, alleged sexual misconduct against Spacey.

Reuters was unable to independently confirm any of the accusations.

Spacey, as part of his apology to Rapp, announced he was gay, which angered many in the LGBT community and beyond who saw his announcement as an effort to divert attention from the accusation by Rapp.

Spacey has sought evaluation and treatment, his representatives said in a statement on Wednesday, without providing details on the nature of the treatment.

The announcement that he would seek treatment followed harassment allegations against him this week by Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos, who worked in the London theater where Spacey was artistic director from 2004-2015, and U.S. filmmaker Tony Montana.

MRC said in a statement on Thursday it had handled one incident in 2012 in which a crew member it did not identify “shared a complaint about a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey” and that immediate action had been taken and the issue was resolved.

It said Spacey had “willingly participated in a training process” and that it was not aware of any complaints since then involving the actor.

Netflix’s move to cut ties with Spacey went beyond “House of Cards.”

The company will not release the film “Gore,” which was in post-production and was produced by Spacey, its statement said. Spacey plays the late writer Gore Vidal.

 

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Editing by Mary Milliken and Paul Tait)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pop Culture

First Look at Epic Trailer For Elton John Biopic ‘Rocketman’

Published

on

There are moments in a rockstar’s life that define who he is. The movie “Rocketman,” about the life of Elton John, will take audiences to some of those moments in summer 2019.

The film’s star, Taron Egerton, tweeted before the trailer was dropped to say that he was looking forward to people seeing it, adding: “Words cannot describe how proud and excited I am.”

That’s because the trailer is fucking brilliant. Check it out.

Continue Reading

Pop Culture

Kanye West Wants To Arrange Meeting Between Kaepernick and Trump

Published

on

WARNING: Kanye West has a new album to promote, so expect BIZARRE behavior.

Kanye West’s new album, “Yhandi,” was promised to drop during his Sept. 29 appearance on the season premiere of “Saturday Night Live.” That didn’t happen. Instead, the release date was changed to Nov. 23, a.k.a., Black Friday. In less than 48 hours, his outlandish conduct has included: controversy over wanting to abolish the 13th Amendment (which ended slavery), the filming of a music video in the grass by the parking lot outside of TMZ’s HQ, and announcing he’s trying to organize a meeting between Colin Kaepernick and President Donald Trump. More bat-shit craziness is likely to come.

Trump has been extremely critical of Kaepernick, strongly pressuring NFL owners to fire all of the “sons of bitches” who don’t stand for the national anthem.

But West wants to bring them together. During an interview Monday on “TMZ Live,” West said he’s reached out to Kaepernick to try to make that happen. Unless you’ve been trapped in human trafficking circles, you likely know Kaepernick was under intense scrutiny from Trump after kneeling during the national anthem at football games to shine a light on police brutality against black people.

He didn’t say if either side was open to the idea, but Trump has praised West for being a brilliant leader.

Meanwhile, Kim:

On a positive note, West did premiere a new song on “Saturday Night Live” that might just be his best song this decade. Check it out:

Continue Reading

Pop Culture

Cardi B Turned Herself Into Police After Strip Club Fight

Published

on

Cardi B turned herself in to New York Police police at the 109th Precinct in Queens Monday morning over charges stemming from a fight at a strip club.

Sources told TMZ that Cardi B has “long-standing beef” with a bartender at the club, with whom she allegedly started the fight. The rapper was at Angels Strip Club back in Aug. 2018 to watch her husband, Offset, perform with Migos on the night of the incident, and she allegedly told her crew to attack the women with bottles and chairs after rumors swirled that one of them had slept with Offset.

The new mom was involved in another fight recently. In September, Cardi B was left with a welt on her head after she was involved in an altercation with Nicki Minaj at a New York Fashion Week party.

Joe Tacopina, the attorney representing the two female bartenders, released a statement to CNN stating: “Cardi B ordered and committed violent assaults against my clients, and is being called to justice for her crimes. Apparently, she thinks her celebrity status puts her above the law, since she has bragged to multiple people and on social media that she orchestrated these vicious attacks,” Tacopina said. “But reality is setting in, as justice does not care whether her name is Cardi B or Carly B, and she will now answer for her crimes.”
“We’re aware of no evidence that she caused anybody any harm on that night,” Jeff Kern, an attorney representing Cardi B told press outside the police precinct. “We expect that the matter is going to be resolved expeditiously.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular