Beyonce, actor James Earl Jones and comedian John Oliver are joining the cast of Walt Disney’s new live-action film version of the “The Lion King”, the studio said.
Directed by Jon Favreau, the movie follows the storyline of the 1994 animated film, in which a young lion named Simba grows up on the African savanna after his uncle Scar conspires to ursurp his father Mufasa’s place as king.
Jones reprises his role as Mufasa, while the young Simba is voiced by Donald Glover, who recently starred in “Solo: A Star Wars Story”. Chiwetel Ejiofor, lead actor in “Twelve Years A Slave”, takes the role of the villainous Scar.
Beyonce plays Simba’s childhood friend and love interest Nala, while Golden Globe-winning actress Alfre Woodard voices the character of Simba’s mother Sarabi.
Comedian Seth Rogen takes on the character of Simba’s warthog friend Pumbaa, while Oliver plays Zazu, the hornbill adviser to Mufasa.
“It is a director’s dream to assemble a talented team like this to bring this classic story to life,” said Favreau, who has also directed Disney’s “The Jungle Book” live-action remake, which saw actors interacting with characters enhanced by computer-generated imagery.
The film is expected to hit U.S. theaters on July 19, 2019.
(Reporting by Karishma Singh; Editing by Himani Sardar)
Actor says he ‘almost died’ after eating Chipotle
Chipotle Mexican Grill on Monday denied allegations by actor Jeremy Jordan that eating at one of its restaurants landed him in the hospital.
Jordan, who plays Winn Schott on TV show “Supergirl,” posted an Instagram video on Thursday of himself on a hospital bed, saying that food he ate at a Chipotle made him severely sick and that he “almost died,” according to a People.com report.
“There have been no other reported claims of illness at the restaurant where (Jordan) dined. We take all claims seriously, but we can’t confirm any link to Chipotle, given the details he shared with us,” Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold said via email.
Jordan’s allegations come as Chipotle is still recovering from a bruising string of food safety lapses that started in late 2015, including a recent norovirus outbreak at a Virginia restaurant.
The Denver-based burrito chain’s stock has fallen about 60 percent since an E. coli outbreak in 2015.
Shares of Chipotle fell as much as 6 percent to a near five-year low of $263.11 on Monday morning, but recouped most losses by afternoon. The stock was last down 0.4 percent.
(Reporting by Gayathree Ganesan and Uday Sampath Kumar in Bengaluru; editing by Sai Sachin Ravikumar)
Hundreds join #MeToo march against sexual abuse
Hundreds of people marched in the heart of Hollywood on Sunday to support victims of sexual assault and harassment, inspired by a social media campaign that has portrayed such abuse as a pervasive feature of American life.
The #MeToo march and rally followed a relentless series of accusations by men and women who said they were victimized by high-powered figures in the entertainment industry. But marchers said they also represented men and women who had been sexually abused as children and in other situations.
“I’ve been sexually assaulted multiple times throughout my life,” said marcher Tara McNamarra, 21, of Los Angeles. “It’s affected me in every aspect of my life.”
She said the march was cleansing after years of not being taken seriously about having been abused.
Women made up a majority of the crowd, although men made a strong showing of support.
Steven Murphy, 51, of Los Angeles, said he regularly witnessed sexual harassment while working as an accountant in the healthcare industry.
“I’ve had personal experiences of friends, of co-workers who were harassed, and nothing ever came of it,” Murphy said. “They were made out to be the guilty ones. They were pressured and harassed by the company for speaking out against assault and sexual harassment in the workplace.”
The marchers started at the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, walking along the noted “Walk of Fame” until they reached the Los Angeles headquarters of news network CNN at Sunset and Cahuenga Boulevards.
Along the way, participants noted the stars of actors and producers accused of sexual harassment.
The allegations have inspired an online campaign, tagged #MeToo, that has encouraged men and women in all walks of life to reveal their own experiences with sexual harassment and assault, often years after they occurred.
Among the most recent allegations, five women detailed sexual misconduct accusations against Emmy-winning comedian Louis C.K. in The New York Times on Thursday. He admitted to the misconduct alleged against him in a statement on Friday and apologized for his actions.
More than 50 women have said that Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them over the past three decades. Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone. Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the allegations.
Earlier this month, actor Kevin Spacey apologized to actor Anthony Rapp, who had accused him of trying to seduce him in 1986 when Rapp was 14. Spacey’s representatives said later he was seeking treatment.
Eight current and former employees of the Netflix TV show “House of Cards,” who were not identified, also have accused Spacey, the star of the show, of sexual misconduct, CNN has reported.
(Additional reporting by Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles and Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento, Calif.; Editing by Peter Cooney
ESPN’s SportsCenter is now on Snapchat
ESPN launched its flagship SportsCenter program on messaging app Snapchat on Monday, reimagining the show that provides sports highlights and commentary into a short-form series.
The new show deepens the relationship between ESPN parent Walt Disney Co and Snapchat parent Snap Inc.
The sports network, which has made Snapchat content since 2015, is trying to reach a younger audience, while the social media app, whose messages disappear after viewing, is adding more content in an effort to grow its user base beyond its core youth demographic.
The partnership is a two-year deal and Snap and ESPN will share revenues, Snap said, though it declined to give specifics.
SportsCenter will air twice a day on Snapchat during weekdays, and once a day on weekends. A roster of six hosts will give commentary and perspectives, including ESPN anchors Katie Nolan and Elle Duncan, and ESPN Radio host Jason Fitz, Snap said.
Sean Mills, Snap’s head of content programming, said SportsCenter helps round out the app’s stable of daily shows, which already includes news shows from CNN and NBC News, as well as an entertainment show called “The Rundown” from E! Network.
Along with daily shows, Snap launched a joint venture studio with NBCUniversal last month to produce scripted shows to air on the app.
(Reporting by Sheila Dang, Editing by Rosalba O’Brien)
Living1 year ago
How to Make Your Pooch Some Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Ice Cream
Videos1 year ago
Black Lives Matter Protests Ignite Conversation
Living1 year ago
Here’s the History and Rules of Not Shaving In November
Videos12 months ago
Whatever Happened to the Genetti Wedding Girl?
Dreams, Exposed1 month ago
Man running for mayor poses nude, exposes plan to save city
Exclusive1 month ago
Scranton’s mayor drops out of debate, dismisses millennial population
Not Fake News1 year ago
Clay Aiken Went to a Donald Trump Rally
Videos1 year ago
Watch Asialena Slay this Jazzy Cover of Work by Rihanna